Things you should know before you proceed

Hello there :) Meghna here. About me: Age 15. Malaysia. Indian. Grew up in Singapore. Third Culture Kid. Loves: Music. The Wombats. Harry Potter. Dance. Art. Singing though the presence of talents is questionable.Writing.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Chapter 4



“I knew you would be here.”
Saleena stiffened then relaxed when she realized it was only me. She was sitting by the Lake Esme in the center of town, not far from school. Although it was filled with weeds, and wasn’t very popular, it had this aura of calm and tranquility which was a perfect place for us to get away from it all and just think. No one else ever came here but us, and Saleena had been escaping here every time she felt sad or disappointed.
“Are you okay Sal?” I sat down next to her. “I know it is really weird and hard to take in, but we have a duty.”
Saleena got up. “We don’t have a duty Mikey. Who are they to tell us that we have a duty to protect and preserve some random cause? I didn’t sign up for this. We didn’t sign up for this. Why?” She took a deep breath to calm her trembling voice. “Why on earth do you believe them? Why?”
I was silent. I didn’t know why I believed them. I just sort of knew in my heart that what they were saying was true.
“See!” Saleena yelled, throwing a rock into the water. Waves spread out from the point of impact, disrupting the serenity of the place. “You don’t even know why you believe them! You are just going along with them because you don’t have any opinions! You just follow what everyone says without a single thought about what you want to do!”
I froze as if I had been slapped. Sal has NEVER talked to me in that way before. “I don’t do that Saleena. I never do that. I always have an opinion and just because you are mad or you can’t understand what’s going on, doesn’t give you the right to yell at your sister! This is happening to me too!” I was breathless when I finished.
“I don’t believe in this nonsense. I don’t believe in it one bit. And I suggest that you don’t either.” She yelled back. “And what do they mean by the whole family knowing? And even Katya? Katie is too young and innocent! There is no way that she knows anything about this mess.”
Oh so that’s why she was angry. Saleena tended to be protective of Katie whenever she felt confused. “Listen Sal.” I told her, breathing in deeply. “Let’s just go along with it for now. If what they say is true, which it probably is, then Katie will be in on the plan or whatever too. You don’t want her to be disappointed with you, do you?” I asked her.
Her eyes widened and I felt the satisfaction of knowing that I was right. “I don’t.” She sighed. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have yelled at you. I’m sorry.” She said again while she gave me a hug. “Am I forgiven?”
I hugged her back. “Yes” I told her. “You’re forgiven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment