Things you should know before you proceed

Hello there :) Meghna here. About me: Age 15. Malaysia. Indian. Grew up in Singapore. Third Culture Kid. Loves: Music. The Wombats. Harry Potter. Dance. Art. Singing though the presence of talents is questionable.Writing.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Chapter 3:


“Ashley!” Megan yelled and rushed to her sister’s aid. I was already at her side. The twin stirred at the sound of her name and slowly sat up. She held her head in her hands and murmured, “What happened?”
“You collapsed.” I told her as I helped her up gently. “Are you okay? That was some spill.” She shook her head to clear it. “Yeah, I’m good.” She reassured me and her sister who was watching her with worried eyes. Ashley paused, beginning to look apprehensive. “Is Saleena ok?”
I turned to Saleena. She was still sprawled on the ground, her eyes staring blankly in front of her. The look on her face was one of pure terror. It was truly frightening to look at.  After a few seconds, she blinked a few times and her glazy eyes focused. “Whoa.” She got up unsteadily. “Did that just happen? That was the weirdest thing.”
“It did happen.” Megan told us. “All of it is true. Do you believe me now Saleena?” She asked, gently placing a hand on her shoulder. Saleena didn’t reply.
“I believe you have powers.” I said, answering for my sister. “But I don’t believe that we have powers. There is no way. I mean, I would have noticed by now.”
“That’s my point. You wouldn’t have noticed them at all because the powers are revealed only when you turn fifteen.”
“Then why tell us now? Why not tell us when we actually turn fifteen?” I inquired.
“That’s because according to the stars and planets, your fifteenth birthday is tomorrow, not next week.  The paths of the planets keep changing and you turn fifteen at exactly midnight today.”
I stared open-mouthed at Megan. This was a lot of information to take in one day. As of now, Saleena and I had powers, the whole family knew, the twins were supposed to help us. “Why?” I said out loud.
“Why what?” She inquired. “Why do you have to help us with our powers?” I asked.
Megan looked uneasy, which worried me. Who gives good news while looking uneasy? No one. “Actually, there is something else we have to tell you. You know Yin and Yang right? The idea of symmetrical balance fits perfectly into our story. You are not the only ones in the world with powers. In fact, there are hundreds of us. But the problem is, there are a few who use their powers for evil reasons. You exist in the world to help maintain the balance. I’m sure your mother told you the story of how the two of you used to be one baby in your mother’s womb. The oracle decided to split you into two people to split the power so that the two of you have less pressure in your lives. The two of you are the two halves of one whole. You have to train and perfect your powers so that you can make sure that the others don’t use their powers for evil reasons. It is a great responsibility.”
There was silence after Megan stopped speaking.
“I don’t know if I understand this.” I paused, thinking about which words to use. “It is all too strange for me.”
“Tell you what.” Megan said. “We will come home with you today. Your whole family knows. Even Katya.”
Saleena’s head jerked up. She had been silent during the conversation. “How do you know Katya?! Stay away from her!” Megan jerked back as if she were slapped.
“Saleena? Are you okay?” I asked her. She just shook her head and hopped over the wall. She landed on the other side with a soft thud. Pausing only to look back sadly, she ran off into the distance.
“Saleena!” Ashley called, her worried brown eyes following her already disappearing figure.
“There is no way we can catch up to her at this point, not even me. She has too much of a head start.” I told them. I looked in the direction of her path. “Let’s leave her alone for a while. I have a feeling that I know where she will be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment