Things you should know before you proceed

Hello there :) Meghna here. About me: Age 15. Malaysia. Indian. Grew up in Singapore. Third Culture Kid. Loves: Music. The Wombats. Harry Potter. Dance. Art. Singing though the presence of talents is questionable.Writing.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Chapter 1- The Day our Lives changed Forever

READ THE PROLOGUE FIRST.


“MOM!” I yelled, hoping that she could hear me. “Have you seen them? The science notes, I mean. I swear I left them right on the desk!” I had been up late last night putting them together and now I really needed them.
Kathleen Howard walked into my room, expertly folding a blanket. She was distracted, I could tell. “Have I seen what honey? Dear God…” She stopped and stood in the doorway, her wide blue eyes taking in the mess of my junkyard. That’s right, I said junkyard. My room is most of the time way too messy to be called a room.  I always clean it up, and then in 10 minutes it’s messy again. “What happened in here? It looks like a cyclone hit it!”
I looked around the junkyard; there were clothes on the floor, books falling over, and stuff dumped on my table and papers everywhere. It did look like a storm hit it.
“What is Michaela yelling about?” Saleena grumbled. She stopped and let out a low whistle. “Omigod! What happened in here? It looks like a...”
“Cyclone hit it? I know.” I grumbled.
“Actually,” she said, “I was going to say typhoon, but cyclone pretty much says it all.” She paused. “What causeth thy tempest?”
“I can’t find my science notes!” I wailed. “I’m so going to flunk!”
“Oh. Right.” She mumbled, looking guilty. “You mean these? I woke up early to copy them over. I’m sorry. I should have asked.”
I sighed in relief. Thank God they weren’t lost. “It’s ok,” I told her and gave her a hug. “Just tell me next time. Or leave me a note, whatever. But you have to help clean this up.” I gestured to the mess in my room.
Saleena sighed, but nodded. “Come on Mikey!” she said, using her special nickname for me. “We are going to be late!”
You must have guessed my name by now. Michaela Elena Howard, not Mikayla as some spell it. Just plain old Mikey. I’m fourteen, turning fifteen in a week. I have black hair and really big light brown eyes. I have to admit that it is pretty rare to see someone with that combination, though it is possible. People think that it makes me look stunning, but I think I look like a creature from hell. My younger sister, my twin actually, is the more beautiful twin, by my standards.
Saleena Riley Howard has platinum blonde hair and the biggest and the bluest eyes I have ever seen. We don’t look anything alike. Nobody, including the doctors knew that she was going to be born. It was a shock, Mom said, a shock to see her pop out as well. Her words, not mine. She always said that God had decided to grant her two lovely girls instead of the one she was waiting for. Well, she got three anyway.
Katya Angela Howard, Katie for short is our sweet ten-year-old sister. The darling listens to everything we say and we are her role models. It’s really weird though, but we adore her all the same. Her blonde hair and grey blue eyes make her the most adorable little sister in the world.
Kathleen Howard, well you have already met Mom. She is the most perfect mother in existence. She hardly ever loses her temper and she gives us enough freedom. Katie is the perfect replica of her. I guess she was cast from the same mold.
And last but definitely not the least, Brian Howard. Dad works for the local paper, The Herald. I’m not exactly sure what he does though. He has brown hair and blue eyes that could tell a truth from a lie.
 “Mikey! Hurry up!” Saleena yelled from the yard.
“I’m coming!” I called over my shoulder as I yanked my bag out from underneath the huge pile of clothes.
When I joined her outside, she was practically skipping with excitement. “What are you wound up about?”
“Don’t you remember? Ms. Briggs told us that there were two new girls joining us today! Twins! Imagine another pair just like us?”
I smiled. So that’s why she was in such a hurry today. I should have known. I mean, I can always guess what she is thinking about most of the time at least. It must be because of our “twin-ly” connection. I think that our unity is stronger than most. Sometimes, we can read each other’s minds. I’m not joking. It is really weird because from time to time, we converse telepathically in our dreams. Dad says that it is probably just because we are twins and our minds used to be one, so that’s why it probably works like that.
I picked up my pace to catch up to her; oblivious to the fact that Mom was watching us leave with a worried look on her face.
Saleena began skipping down the pavement. I began laughing, her enthusiasm was catching. As we reached the top of the hill upon which the school was located, the wind began playfully blowing through my hair straightening it out.
“Race you to the front door!” she called over her shoulder, already running at full speed.
“No fair!” I called back as I picked up steam, “You started early!” Come on Mikey, push yourself. You ARE the older twin.  The background began to blur as I sped along, keeping only my goal in sight- the front door.
“FIRST!” We both yelled touching the door at the same time. I took ten seconds to calm down before I spoke.
“I was first.” I told Saleena. She shook her head. “I was first! My fingernail touched it first.” She held up her hands, displaying her long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I gave her that one. She never lied or faked to get out of anything. And neither did I.
“You did have a head start.” I reminded her.
“Whoa!” said a voice behind us, “That must have been the fastest you girls have ever run! I think you broke your own record!”
Saleena and I were the fastest in the whole school. And we were only freshmen! Our fastest record beat the boy’s fastest speed by TWENTY seconds in the mile run! It was so cool.
We turned around. “Drew!” I squealed and threw my arms around him. “Did we really break it?”
Drew pulled away, blushing from the hug. He should have been used to them by now, seeing that he was our good friend and everything “I don’t know,” he admitted as the sun began shining on our faces, “But there is a good chance that you did.” He turned his gaze to me. “Whoa… Michaela… you look freaky!” He stumbled back, his eyes widening in shock.
I saw Saleena turn to me. She gasped. “Seriously Mikey! You’re eyes are white!”
I frowned. There was no way that was possible. Come on, white-eyes?
“Give me a sec, I think I have a mirror somewhere.” As she began rummaging in her bag, the sun began shining on her face as well. I felt uncomfortable; Drew wouldn’t quit staring at my supposedly white eyes. When she looked up, clutching the mirror, I involuntarily took a step back. Her eyes had also turned pure white! Drew followed my gaze and whistled. Saleena glanced up and saw our faces turn in her direction; Drew’s full of awe and mine full of shock. Realization dawned on her face.
“My eyes are white too, aren’t they?” she said in a whisper. She gripped the mirror and looked into it. Her eyes grew as big as a saucer. “Are you seeing what I’m seeing?”
I walked over to her and took a breath before looking at myself in the mirror. The girl who was in the reflection was looking back at me steadily. She had black hair with white-ish highlights. The girl next to me did not look like Saleena at all. It was hard to believe but Saleena looked like…
“Me.” It came out as a hoarse whisper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment